Whether you’re planning a bathroom remodel or just looking for some new designs, a curbless shower is an excellent choice to add some character to your home. Need some help familiarizing yourself with all the ins and outs? In this article, we explore the benefits of curbless showers.
What is a curbless shower?
Traditionally, homeowners have opted for a standard shower and tub combination for its versatility. However, curbless showers have become a great alternative in recent years. A curbless shower is simply a shower lacking some form of curb, threshold, or divider at the entrance.They generally feature full-length glass panels and can be stocked with additional bathroom features.
Regarding construction, curbless showers are designed to optimize accessibility and space conservation. The walk-in design permits easy entry while slightly angled flooring ensures proper water drainage. Curbless showers also allow for several unique design features and aesthetics unlike other bathroom options. So, what are some of these features and how do they compare?
Pros and Cons of a Curbless Shower
As with everything, there are some trade-offs. Here are some of the most relevant pros and cons of curbless showers. First off, some of the benefits:
Curbless Shower Pros
- Great Accessibility — With no ledges or curbs, this sleek design allows for easier access to and from the shower. As such, it’s a great option for all ages and abilities, especially the young, old, and disabled. You can also have a shower chair if needed, so that a person can roll in the shower without being impeded. This kind of shower would also be good for people with certain surgeries or injuries that prevent you from stepping up into the shower.
- Ease of Cleaning and Maintenance — The lack of seams definitely helps in streamlining the cleaning process. Also, no bathtub means one less feature to worry about.
- Modern Aesthetics and Additional Features — The open design helps emphasize backsplashes and wall designs in your bathroom. It also allows for additional features, such as shelves and benches for all your hygiene products.
These are some of the best features a curbless shower has to offer. As for the cons, here as the trade-offs with this design:
Curbless Shower Cons
- Lack of Privacy — With full-length glass walls, you definitely sacrifice privacy for functionality. While you can install some curtains or coverings, you lose the whole appeal of the curbless look and feel.
- Heat Retention — Due to less enclosure from the open air design, you may experience a colder shower experience. However, there are some options to avoid this occurrence, such as heated flooring.
- Less Water Shielding — Less curbs and thresholds generally means that its easier to spill and splash water around. This can also lead to very wet flooring, something to be aware of to avoid slips and falls.
Is a curbless shower worth it?
Depending on the style of your home and the bathroom features you want. If you value high accessibility, low maintenance, and modern looks, a curbless shower is a great option that highlights these features. Additionally, the lack of a wide bathtub opens up your flooring options. The extra space can allow for the easy addition of a double bathroom sink, towel closet, or larger shower shelvings designs.
Curbless Shower FAQs
- Does a curbless shower add value? In short, yes they do. Not only is a curbless shower a desirable house feature, but a great investment due to its easy accessibility for all ages.
- Where does the drain go in a curbless shower? Depending on your installation design, you have two options: (1) linear drains, which are slanted to one side, or (2) center drains, which feature slopes in all four directions to a singular point. Both work well and largely depend on your overall bathroom design.
- Why is a curbless shower more expensive? Overall, curbless showers usually cost more than other shower designs due to labor costs and planning. If either the design or drainage is slightly off, it can make your bathroom a large water hazard rather than a luxury, spa-like experience, so that is why it is important to select the right bathroom remodeler like We Do Wow.
Recent Curbless Shower Gallery
Schedule a Curbless Bathroom Remodel Consultation
Since 1944, We Do Wow has been proudly serving the greater Middle Tennessee area for all your bathroom remodeling needs.
If you’re looking for a curbless shower remodel, we can help. Schedule a consultation, or give us a call at (615) 305-0921. For questions or more information, please give us a call today. One of our representatives will be happy to assist you.